Mold is a name for a family of fungi that grow indoors and outdoors. There are tens of thousands of varieties of mold, but most of them flourish in conditions that are warm and damp. They spread by producing airborne spores which can sometimes survive very harsh and dry environmental conditions for a long time before re-growing. The process of mold removal requires great care and expertise and begins with identifying the mold.
Common Indoor Dangerous Molds
The four most common types of indoor molds are Cladosporium, Alternaria, Penicillium, Aspergillus and Stachybotrys. While some molds can be deadly to humans, many are largely harmless to those who are not sensitive to environmental issues. Those who are sensitive to molds can suffer respiratory problems, sinus issues and skin or eye irritation.
This is one of the most common outdoor forms of molds that often gets into the home through heating, air conditioning and other ventilation systems. It grows on damp and porous areas such as wood and textiles. It can be a trigger for asthma or hay fever.
This mold can actually deposit in the upper respiratory tract and trigger allergies. It is often found in carpets, house dust, textiles and any damp areas like showers and window frames. It is also commonly found in planting soil.
This dangerous mold is another trigger for allergies, asthma and hay fever. It tends to grow in wallpaper and wallpaper glue as well as decaying fabrics. It is often found in older or water-damaged structures as well as in fiberglass insulation and carpeting. It can produce toxins.
One of the most commonly found indoor molds, this fungus generally thrives in warmer climates. It can be found largely in water damaged areas or locations where there is extreme dampness. This includes in, around and behind showers and tubs. Many species of aspergillus produce mycotoxins that can cause illness and disease. Outdoors, it can be found in building materials and decomposing organic matter such as compost and leaf piles.
One of the more dangerous kinds of house mold, stachybotrys is extremely toxic and often known as “black mold.” It produces airborne toxins which can trigger serious respiratory issues, memory and hearing loss, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and bleeding in the lungs. It thrives in areas of excessive moisture such as bathrooms, laundry rooms and around air conditioning units. Fortunately, it is also one of the least common molds listed here.
If you think you have dangerous mold problems you should contact a qualified air quality abatement company. These companies can assess your problem, determine if the mold issue presents a danger, and effectively remove, clean and dispose of the problem without putting you or your loved ones in danger. If you are not sure what to look for in an expert removal company, we can help. Check out our website guidelines and contact us for a thorough assessment of your problem. We can get your air quality clean and clear.